Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
My family calls this dish "That One Salad" because it better than all others! It is great for a lunch or dinner. A big salad filled with chicken, craisins, nuts and bleu cheese on a crispy crust!
- 1⁄2 small head romaine lettuce
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1⁄4 cup lightly toasted unsalted walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 -2 ripened tomatoes
- 8 ounces white balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- garlic salt
- 2 loaves of thin pita bread
- 1 (4 ounce) triangle blue cheese (the higher quality the better)
- 1 (8 ounce) chicken breasts or 2 (4 ounce) chicken breasts
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grill/brown the outside of the chicken breasts (you can do this in a non-stick skillet with a little canola oil or on a grill pan like a George Foreman). After one side is slightly browned, place the chicken in tin-foil and wrap tightly. Bake the chicken in the oven for about 20 minutes depending on thickness. When you remove the chicken from the oven, check for doneness. If the chicken is not cooked all of the way through, put back in the oven for another 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush pita with a small amount of oil and sprinkle with garlic salt. Place loaves into oven on the racks and let back for 5 minutes or until bread is firm and lightly brown. Remove from oven.
- Chop romaine and spinach, and tomatoes and put in large bowl. Toss with the dried cranberries and all of the toasted walnuts.Add 1/2 of the bleu cheese to the salad, crumbled.
- Put the white balsamic vinegar into a blender or food processor on medium/high and slowly drizzle in the remainder of the oil. Allow to emulsify for 30 seconds or so.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked and is cool enough to handle, dice into medium/small pieces and toss into salad.
- Pour entirety of the dressing over salad and toss/mix together.
- Serve salad on top of the crispy bread!
- Serve with extra bleu cheese crumbles on top & cracked black pepper.