From Sunset 2005. If you can find Argentinan red shrimp (I buy it at Trader Joe's) try it! It is lobster, masquerading as shrimp!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup de-fatted chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (a good quality)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- hearts of palm, 2 (14 ounce to 16 ounce cans)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled
- 1/4 cup minced Italian parsley or 1/4 cup fresh curly-leaf parsley
- 5 ounces red shrimp, shelled (can substititute bay shrimp)
- 1 firm-ripe avocado
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large loose leaf lettuce leaves
- 1In a large non-reactive bowl combine the broth, olive oil, vinegar, capers, lemon juice, shallots, and mustard.
- 2Boil the eggs. Shell the eggs and separate the whites from the yolk. Chop both the whites and yolks finely with a fork, keeping them separate. Set aside.
- 3Rinse the hearts of palm in cold water and drain. Cut the hearts of palm in half lengthwise, if desired. Place the hearts in the dressing and toss to coat. Let marinate 10-15 minutes.
- 4In a saute pan, heat up about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the shrimp for 5 minutes on both sides, until lightly browned. Drain on paper towel.
- 5Arrange one large loose leaf on each individual salad plate. With slotted spoon, divide up the hearts of palm onto each plate. Add the parsley and shrimp to the prepared dressing in the bowl and mix.
- 6Pit, peel then thinly slice the avocado; arrange on plates. Spoon shrimp and all the dressing equally over the hearts of palm and avocado slices.
- 7Sprinkle each serving with egg whites then the yolks.
- 8Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bless Your Hearts of Palm Salad With Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.5
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 116.6 mg
- Sodium 208.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar