Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've had this recipe for at least 15 years. It's a quick dessert!
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust or 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Put all ingredients except egg whites and 3 Tablespoons sugar into blender.
- Blend for 30 seconds on high; scrape down any dry ingredients; blend 30 seconds more.
- Pour into unbaked piecrust and bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or longer until set.
- Make meringue with the three egg whites by beating on high speed with a hand mixer while gradually adding 3 Tb sugar, until peaks form.
- Spread over pie and bake until golden.
Great and easy recipe. I was a little surprised at the consistency of the mix going into the pie crust but it set up. It got rave reviews from the fam. Just what we needed for our chocolate fix. Thanks Zewbiedoo.
I had to stop what I was doing (in the middle of a huge legal brief) to tell everyone HOW GREAT this pie was. I made 2 this afternoon. I used the 3 TBSP. of cocoa for one pie and 2 TBSP. for the other since one DD doesn't like as much chocolate. THEY WERE BOTH FANTASTIC!!! I've never been able to make a chocolate pie that "set up" so when these did, I was thrilled. THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT RECIPE THAT I WILL USE FOR YEARS TO COME!
I just made this pie for Easter and am really disappointed. I followed the instructions EXACTLY. The inside of the pie was like runny pudding. I don't know what happened, but it was kind of embarassing when I cut into it with a room full of guests. The chocolate just oozed out everywhere. I won't be making this pie again.