Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From The Joy of Cooking. This is like a taste of heaven. Wonderful on fillet of beef, vegetables, eggs, or fish. I could just eat it with a spoon.
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots or 1 tablespoon onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons tarragon leaves (preferably fresh, but dried will do)
- 1 tablespoon chervil
- 1 sprig fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup real butter (stick margarine will do in a pinch)
- Combine wine, vinegar, and herbs in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook until reduced by half.
- Mixture will be very concentrated; COOL.
- Have ready in your blender; above mixture, 3 egg yolks and salt.
- Blend about 5 seconds.
- Melt butter in a saucepan until bubbling, but DO NOT BURN.
- Remove center stopper from blender cap.
- Turn blender motor on HIGH; Pour HOT butter through opening in blender cap in a steady stream while motor is running, about 30 seconds.
- The sauce should be finished (about the consistency of thin mayonnaise).
- If not, blend on HIGH another 5 seconds.
- NOTE: Butter will be very hot and will cook the egg yolks, so you don't have to worry about eating raw eggs.
- Serve immediately, or you can keep warm by placing blender container in warm water.
I did strain the herbs before I added the butter. Really good!
Very easy to make and tastes wonderful! Won't ever go back to making Bernaise any other way. Thanks!
I served this over filet mignon the night my hubby proposed to me, need I say more? We don't eat steak at our house anymore without this served with it!