1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Southern Polar Bear's Note:
A truly gruesome recipe! Perfect for those of you who are Valentine's Day cynics or Halloween enthusiasts. The original bleedy cake is a heart-shaped, double-layer chocolate cake with pink frosting and frou-frou Valentine-y decorations. The cake is served by hacking it in two with a cleaver -- making it bleed. The effect is quite dramatic if done right! You can also make a bleedy Halloween cake by making a round or square-shaped cake and decorating it with Halloween decorations. The syrup makes this cake pretty sweet, so I recommend using Southern Fluffy Frosting for the frosting. It's a gorgeous, white, fluffy frosting (that's not too sweet, and the recipe makes A LOT of it -- even if you cut it in half)! This recipe is from the website goingbridal.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350.
- 2Prepare two heart shaped or two 8" round pans by coating the bottom and sides with shortening and a light dusting of flour.
- 3Mix the cake mix, water, oil, and eggs in a large bowl.
- 4Beat on low speed for two minutes.
- 5Evenly seperate the mix into the two pans.
- 6Bake for 32 to 36 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 7Cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from pans.
- 8Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- 9Place the bottom layer on a serving platter.
- 10Hollow out the bottom layer of the cake by using a knife and a spoon.
- 11Frost the entire crater with frosting(this prevents the syrup from soaking into the cake).
- 12Fill the frosted crater with red syrup.
- 13If the syrup reaches the top of the crater, spread a thin layer of frosting on the bottom of the top layer (to prevent the syrup from soaking into the top layer of the cake).
- 14Place the top layer over the bottom layer.
- 15Frost the entire cake and decorate as desired.
- 16Cut, with the traditional hacking of a clever, and serve immediately!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bleedy Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1644 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5811.8
- Calories from Fat 2502
- Total Fat 278.0 g
- Saturated Fat 48.8 g
- Cholesterol 634.5 mg
- Sodium 2529.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 807.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 745.5 g
- Protein 20.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
strawberry flavored syrup