Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
A great halloween dish for the kids.
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 50 black olives
- 50 pieces pepperoni (small chunks)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl beat the butter until very soft and smooth.
- Add the paprika and cayenne and blend.
- Add the cheeses and mix well.
- Stir in the flour.
- Take an olive and insert the chunk of pepperoni.
- With your fingers wrap about 1 1/2 teaspoons of dough around the olive, leaving a small part of it outside the dough to form an iris on the eye.
- Roll the mixture into a smooth ball and place one inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until the cheddar pastry is firm and crispy, but not browned (about 12 minutes).
- Serve hot or cold.
These were pretty tasty! They would have looked more like eyeballs if I'd used bigger olives--I had to slit these to fit the pepperoni in there (I used Oberto Cocktail Pepperoni sticks, the skinniest I could find). Next time I'll look for really huge olives! I also had to add a tablespoon of water to the dough to get it to hold together. They were definitely better right out of the oven.