Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe was given to me by my German sister-in-law. It goes really well with the Rouladen recipe I have also published. The vinegar ensures that the lovely red colour of the cabbage remains as it cooks. Enjoy.
- 1⁄2 red cabbage
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 apple, finely sliced, granny smith is good
- 1 teaspoon flour
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine (Merlot works well)
- Cut cabbage very finely. Heat oil in pan, add onion and cabbage and cook gently. Before cabbage collapses add vinegar to keep the red colour.
- Add a cup of water (or you can add some wine too), sugar, cloves, bay leaf. Put lid on pot and cook at low heat until cabbage is soft (about 1 hour and 30 minutes). Keep checking as it cooks to make sure you have enough liquid all the time. Season with salt.
- Half and hour before ready, add finely cut apple.
- When liquid is nearly cooked out, add flour.
- Give it a good whisk and heat up for short time.
this is the best red cabbage recipe eer