Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe was given to me by my German sister-in-law. It goes really well with the Rouladen recipe I have also published. The vinegar ensures that the lovely red colour of the cabbage remains as it cooks. Enjoy.
- Cut cabbage very finely. Heat oil in pan, add onion and cabbage and cook gently. Before cabbage collapses add vinegar to keep the red colour.
- Add a cup of water (or you can add some wine too), sugar, cloves, bay leaf. Put lid on pot and cook at low heat until cabbage is soft (about 1 hour and 30 minutes). Keep checking as it cooks to make sure you have enough liquid all the time. Season with salt.
- Half and hour before ready, add finely cut apple.
- When liquid is nearly cooked out, add flour.
- Give it a good whisk and heat up for short time.