Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is traditional dish from the region of Frankonia that is more well-known for its lovely wines that beer. This recipe is called Blaue Zipfel (blue ends) because the sausage will turn a bit blue in cooking them. The recipe is a bit smelly but it is really good and couldn't be easier.
- 1 liter water
- 1⁄2 liter white wine
- 1⁄2 liter vinegar
- 5 medium onions, cut in rings
- 10 juniper berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 20 nuernberger bratwursts, must be small (small bratwursts, if you are in the US, the small breakfast sausage links are pretty similar)
- Put everything in a big pot other than the sausages and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, add sausage and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl with fresh soft pretzels or good baguette.