Recipe by GypsyAnn
This is the original taco salad I prepared when it first became popular -- long before packaged taco seasoning mix. I still think it tastes the best! It's very family friendly (if you like it with a bit more kick, just add some diced jalapenos or hot sauce, or use jalapeno jack cheese).
Top Review by LonghornMama
We loved this! Great flavor and super easy to put together. Some like ranch dressing or even catalina, but I prefer salsa and a small dollop of sour cream. Ranch style is a brand of beans available in Texas and surrounding states which contains tomato sauce and seasonings. If Ranch style beans are not available where you live, try a can of chili beans. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for PAC Spring 2009.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, diced small
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style beans, drained
- 3 tomatoes (approximately 3)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onions or 1⁄2 cup green onion, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large head lettuce, torn for salad
- 2 1⁄2 cups Fritos corn chips, slightly crushed
- 2 Hass avocadoes, roughly chopped
- salad dressing, your choice
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef slightly, add chili powder, cumin, garlic and oregano. Continue browning until garlic is soft. Drain any grease; add drained beans; set aside and keep warm.
- In large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, cheese, lettuce, avocados and Fritos.
- Add ground beef mixture to the bowl and toss.
- Pour your favorite dressing over the salad, or let everyone choose their own.
- Serve while still warm.