This is the original taco salad I prepared when it first became popular -- long before packaged taco seasoning mix. I still think it tastes the best! It's very family friendly (if you like it with a bit more kick, just add some diced jalapenos or hot sauce, or use jalapeno jack cheese).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style beans, drained
- 3 tomatoes (approximately 3)
- 1/2 cup sweet onions or 1/2 cup green onion, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large head lettuce, torn for salad
- 2 1/2 cups Fritos corn chips, slightly crushed
- 2 Hass avocadoes, roughly chopped
- salad dressing, your choice
- 1Brown ground beef slightly, add chili powder, cumin, garlic and oregano. Continue browning until garlic is soft. Drain any grease; add drained beans; set aside and keep warm.
- 2In large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, cheese, lettuce, avocados and Fritos.
- 3Add ground beef mixture to the bowl and toss.
- 4Pour your favorite dressing over the salad, or let everyone choose their own.
- 5Serve while still warm.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blast from the Past Taco Salad
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.7
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 68.9 mg
- Sodium 715.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 25.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Fritos corn chips