Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the original taco salad I prepared when it first became popular -- long before packaged taco seasoning mix. I still think it tastes the best! It's very family friendly (if you like it with a bit more kick, just add some diced jalapenos or hot sauce, or use jalapeno jack cheese).
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, diced small
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style beans, drained
- 3 tomatoes (approximately 3)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onions or 1⁄2 cup green onion, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large head lettuce, torn for salad
- 2 1⁄2 cups Fritos corn chips, slightly crushed
- 2 Hass avocadoes, roughly chopped
- salad dressing, your choice
- Brown ground beef slightly, add chili powder, cumin, garlic and oregano. Continue browning until garlic is soft. Drain any grease; add drained beans; set aside and keep warm.
- In large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, cheese, lettuce, avocados and Fritos.
- Add ground beef mixture to the bowl and toss.
- Pour your favorite dressing over the salad, or let everyone choose their own.
- Serve while still warm.
We loved this! Great flavor and super easy to put together. Some like ranch dressing or even catalina, but I prefer salsa and a small dollop of sour cream. Ranch style is a brand of beans available in Texas and surrounding states which contains tomato sauce and seasonings. If Ranch style beans are not available where you live, try a can of chili beans. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for PAC Spring 2009.
Perfect taste, looks, and easy! Another plus is that I always have these ingredients on hand (except for the corn chips which was a real treat for us). Thanks GypsyAnn for sharing a wonderful recipe. Made for Spring PAC '08.
I think most of us have a special Taco Salad recipe that we rely on - we enjoy the variety that one gets by trying a new recipe. We all enjoyed this Taco Salad! Just enough different to make for a new to us salad. Made as posted with Recipe#180605 on the table for those who wished a bit more kick. Next time around I am so going to have jalapeno jack cheese on hand! Thank you Legal Lady for for your 'Blast From The Past'