Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
one of my favorite dishes, this version is adapted from today's NY Times.
Make and share this Blanquette De Veau recipe from Food.com.
- 1133.98 g veal shoulder, in 2-inch cubes
- 1892.0 ml veal or 1892.0 ml chicken broth, warm
- 1 large carrot, peeled, in 3-inch chunks
- 3 leeks, cleaned, trimmed to 4 inches with two outer layers removed
- 1 stalk celery, in 2-inch pieces
- 1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme branch, 10 sprigs flat-leaf parsley)
- 18 medium white mushrooms, trimmed
- 283.49 g bagsmall white pearl onions, blanched and peeled
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 22.18 ml lemon juice
- fresh ground white pepper
- flat leaf parsley (to garnish)
- 354.88 ml basmati rice or 354.88 ml jasmine rice, steamed
- Place veal in a 4-quart casserole. Add broth and bring to a boil. Skim all scum from surface. Reduce heat to low. Add carrot, leeks, celery and bouquet garni. Season with salt. Simmer 1 hour on very low heat. Add mushrooms and onions. Simmer 30 minutes more. Remove from heat and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a large bowl, draining well, discarding leeks and bouquet garni. Cover with plastic wrap. Strain cooking liquid into a separate bowl and clean pan. Return liquid to pan and reduce by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in cream. Simmer for 10 minutes, until slightly thickened. Beat egg yolks in a bowl and slowly beat in about half a cup sauce to warm yolks. Slowly whisk egg yolk mixture into pan, remove from heat and keep whisking until sauce has a creamy consistency. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Return meat, celery, mushrooms and onions to pan. Slice carrots 1/2-inch thick and add. Bring barely to a simmer, stirring, just until ingredients are warmed through. Do not allow sauce to boil or egg yolks will curdle. Check seasonings, garnish with parsley and serve with rice.