Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
one of my favorite dishes, this version is adapted from today's NY Times.
Make and share this Blanquette De Veau recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs veal shoulder, in 2-inch cubes
- 2 quarts veal or 2 quarts chicken broth, warm
- 1 large carrot, peeled, in 3-inch chunks
- 3 leeks, cleaned, trimmed to 4 inches with two outer layers removed
- 1 stalk celery, in 2-inch pieces
- 1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme branch, 10 sprigs flat-leaf parsley)
- 18 medium white mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 (10 ounce) bagsmall white pearl onions, blanched and peeled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- fresh ground white pepper
- flat leaf parsley (to garnish)
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice or 1 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice, steamed
- Place veal in a 4-quart casserole. Add broth and bring to a boil. Skim all scum from surface. Reduce heat to low. Add carrot, leeks, celery and bouquet garni. Season with salt. Simmer 1 hour on very low heat. Add mushrooms and onions. Simmer 30 minutes more. Remove from heat and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a large bowl, draining well, discarding leeks and bouquet garni. Cover with plastic wrap. Strain cooking liquid into a separate bowl and clean pan. Return liquid to pan and reduce by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in cream. Simmer for 10 minutes, until slightly thickened. Beat egg yolks in a bowl and slowly beat in about half a cup sauce to warm yolks. Slowly whisk egg yolk mixture into pan, remove from heat and keep whisking until sauce has a creamy consistency. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Return meat, celery, mushrooms and onions to pan. Slice carrots 1/2-inch thick and add. Bring barely to a simmer, stirring, just until ingredients are warmed through. Do not allow sauce to boil or egg yolks will curdle. Check seasonings, garnish with parsley and serve with rice.