Recipe by Donalda
In my estimation this is the World's best eggnog. I have been making this for almost 40 years now. It comes from the Herb and Spice Cookbook by Craig Claiborne. It suggests Brandy, Bourbon or Rye as the prime ingredient ...but I GREATLY prefer using the Bourbon. Choose your favourite spirit from that list. I also have done with the orange rind and prefer without, but...
- 12 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 quart milk
- 1 (26 ounce) bottle cognac, bourbon or 1 (26 ounce) bottle rye whiskey
- 1 cup dark Jamaican rum
- 1 quart heavy cream, whipped
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar and beat to the ribbon stage, which is to say until lemon colored and quite thick.
- Stir in the milk and spirits.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold inches.
- Chill in the re frigerator four hours.
- Whip the cream and fold it into the eggnog.
- Meanwhile, carefully peel the orange, discarding the white pulp but reserving the extreme outer rind.
- Cut this rind into tiny, needle like strips.
- Grate the lemon rind.
- Stir both the orange and lemon rind into the eggnog .
- Grate fresh nutmeg on each serving! Enjoy!