1/1 Photo of Blackout Cake
5 hrs 40 mins
Barbra Streisand's favorite chocolate cake. Growing up in Brooklyn, a local bakery used to make this. Not sure if it's the same one, but I have never come across another recipe for Blackout cake, so if this isn't it, it must be awfully close! A great, sinfully rich cake! Prep time includes chilling time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 295.73 ml softened butter
- 709.77 ml sugar
- 3 eggs
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 113.39 g unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 709.77 ml flour
- 14.78 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml buttermilk
- 314.66 ml boiling water
- 177.44-236.59 ml roasted slivered almonds
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Grease and flour 2 9-inch cake pans.
- 3Tap out excess flour.
- 4In a large bowl beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- 5Add eggs and vanilla extract; beat till well blended.
- 6Add melted chocolate and beat 1-2 minutes.
- 7Mix together flour and baking soda and salt.
- 8Add to chocolate mixture in 2 additions alternately with the buttermilk.
- 9Beat till well blended.
- 10On low speed, add boiling water and beat till smooth.
- 11(Batter will be thin.) Pour into prepared pans.
- 12Bake for 35-40 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- 13Let cool in pans for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 14Turn out onto wire racks and cool completely.
- 15For Ganache:Melt chocolate chips and cream together and stir until smooth.
- 16Stir in butter and vanilla.
- 17Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until ganache holds its shape and is thick enough to spread on cake layers.
- 18Cover one layer with a little more than 1/3 of the ganache.
- 19Top with second layer; frost top and sides with remaining ganache.
- 20Press almond slivers into sides of cake.
- 21Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours for ganache to firm back up for easier slicing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blackout Cake
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 913.9
- Calories from Fat 494
- Total Fat 54.9 g
- Saturated Fat 31.6 g
- Cholesterol 150.1 mg
- Sodium 614.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 74.6 g
- Protein 10.5 g