Recipe by yooper
Barbra Streisand's favorite chocolate cake. Growing up in Brooklyn, a local bakery used to make this. Not sure if it's the same one, but I have never come across another recipe for Blackout cake, so if this isn't it, it must be awfully close! A great, sinfully rich cake! Prep time includes chilling time
Top Review by Lisa Pizza
Yooper! What a great cake - thanks! I made it for a co-workers b-day today and it was such a hit! One gal thought it was from our local bakery for sure...she just couldn't believe that I'd made it. It's very, very chocolatey - the cake is dense and moist, and the genache is heavenly. My cakes overflowed the cake pans when they baked, so I just cut off the 'lips' before frosting. And my middle fell a bit - maybe I should have cooked a bit longer than 40 min, even though my themometer was right at 350. Just delicious and a keeper!! :)
- 1 1⁄4 cups softened butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄3 cups boiling water
- 3⁄4-1 cup roasted slivered almonds
- 18 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 9-inch cake pans.
- Tap out excess flour.
- In a large bowl beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract; beat till well blended.
- Add melted chocolate and beat 1-2 minutes.
- Mix together flour and baking soda and salt.
- Add to chocolate mixture in 2 additions alternately with the buttermilk.
- Beat till well blended.
- On low speed, add boiling water and beat till smooth.
- (Batter will be thin.) Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn out onto wire racks and cool completely.
- For Ganache:Melt chocolate chips and cream together and stir until smooth.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until ganache holds its shape and is thick enough to spread on cake layers.
- Cover one layer with a little more than 1/3 of the ganache.
- Top with second layer; frost top and sides with remaining ganache.
- Press almond slivers into sides of cake.
- Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours for ganache to firm back up for easier slicing.