1/1 Photo of Blackfeet Nation Bannock
wood stove stoker's Note:
This recipe was written down by Chief Earl Old Person, chief of the Blackfeet Nation, and published as part of fundraising cookbook called "Montana Celebrity Cookbook." (1992) My only modification to the published recipe was to clarify the technique. This is traditionally served with roasted meats or with wild berry jams.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- 3Gradually stir in water until a thick dough forms.
- 4Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead until the dough is not sticky. It does not need to be perfectly smooth.
- 5Grease a 9 X 13 baking pan.
- 6Take a rolling pin and flatten dough until it is roughly the size of the pan.
- 7Place dough in pan and adjust to fit.
- 8Bake for 35 minutes. The bread should be slightly brown.
- 9Turn out out on cutting board or cooling rack. This bread can be cut while warm.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blackfeet Nation Bannock
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.2
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 565.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 6.4 g