Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Beans and sausage, what could be more Cajun than this? It's hearty and yummy. According to a study of nearly ten thousand Americans, a diet containing at least 300 micrograms of the B vitamin folate (found in beans) reduces the risk of stroke and heart disease.
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
- 1 lb andouille sausage (cut bite size or use what you have)
- 4 cups water to cover peas
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 3 -4 chopped scallions (green onion)
- Pick (remove any bad peas) and wash peas.
- Combine in sauce pan with sausage, water, seasons, onions and pepper. Cover and simmer over low flame for 1 and 1 1/2 hour or until tender.
- Add water if needed.
- You want to have enough water to make thick gravy.
- Add green onions (scallions) and serve over rice.
Yummy! I used vegetarian sausage and it turned out great. Thanks! Made for ZWT#9 2013 for Hot Stuff.
wow i cut this down to 1 serving and wish i had made the whole thing. the green onions are genius .i had never had them with black eyed peas before.thats how im going eat them from now on. nice dish that is freezer bound zwt9