Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
These are really spicy so use less pepper if you don't care for a lot of heat. Serve with rice or even as a sandwich filling. The recipe was found in The Giant Book of Tofu Cooking. When you prepare this be sure to press out the excess water.
- 24 ounces firm tofu, pressed and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 -8 tablespoons butter, melted
- Combine salt and seasonings in a small bowl and mix well.
- Brush each piece of tofu with melted butter and dredge each slice in spice mixture, patting it firmly into tofu.
- Pour a teaspoon of melted butter onto each slice of tofu; place tofu, butter side down, in a hot frying pan.
- Stand back and fry for 2 minutes; turn tofu over and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Keep fried tofu in a warm oven until they're all ready to serve.
Wow this was very good although crazy spicy! I found I actually enjoyed it more cold the next day on a sandwich (super yummy!) as it tempered the intense flavor a bit. I experimented a bit with the coating and I found dipping into the butter wasn't actually needed, also adding a bit of flour to the spices maked the tofu nice and crispy.