Recipe by Papa D 1946-2012
Bennett Depew, the corporate chef from Harry's of America recipe seen on News 4 Jax morning show.
For the Blackened Red fish
- 4 -6 ounces red fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon blackening seasoning
For the Maque Choux
- 4 ounces diced bacon
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 quart fresh corn (or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 chopped medium tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Red Bell Pepper Sauce
- 28 ounces drained roasted red peppers
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Maque Choux:.
- Using a large pot on the stove top cook bacon until crispy. Add onion and Sauté until tender, roughly three minutes. Add garlic and sauté for one more minute. Add all remaining ingredients and cook until hot. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- For the Red Bell Pepper Sauce.
- Using a large pot on the stove top add cream, peppers and red wine vinegar. Reduce until thick and syrupy. (if cream breaks a little that is okay, pureeing it will bring the sauce back together) Puree in Blender and reserve hot.
- Blackened Red fish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a non stick or cast iron pan to med on stove top. Season fish liberally with blackening season and sear in pan. Flip once desired level of blackening has occurred and immediately place in oven for an additional 2-3 minutes until fish is cooked through. Then place on top of Maque Choux with red bell pepper sauce surrounding.