1/1 Photo of Blackened Redfish
This is one of the Zaar recipes that I adopted. I haven't prepared this one yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 redfish fillets (8-10oz)
- 3/4 lb unsalted butter, melted
- 1NOTE: Fish fillets (preferably redfish, pompano or tilefish) cut about 1/2 inch thick.
- 2Redfish and pompano are ideal for this method of cooking.
- 3If tilefish is used, you may have to split the fillets in half horizontally to have proper thickness.
- 4If you can't get any of these fish, salmon steaks or red snapper fillets can be substituted.
- 5In any case, the fillets or steaks must not be more than 3/4 inch thick.
- 6Heat a large cast-iron skillet over very high heat until it is beyond the smoking stage and you see white ash in the skillet bottom (the skillet cannot be too hot for this dish), at least 10 minutes. (FT - this recipe is *NOT* for the faint of heart) Meanwhile, pour 2 Tablespoons melted butter in each of 6 small ramekins; set aside and keep warm.
- 7Reserve the remaining butter in its skillet.
- 8Heat the serving plates in a 250F oven.
- 9Thoroughly combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- 10Dip each fillet in the reserved melted butter so that both sides are well coated; then sprinkle seasoning mix generously and evenly on both sides of the fillets, patting by hand.
- 11Place in the hot skillet and pour 1 teaspoon melted butter on top of each fillet (be careful, as the butter may flame up).
- 12Cook, uncovered, over the same high heat until the underside looks charred, about 2 minutes (the time will vary according to the fillet's thickness and the heat of the skillet).
- 13Turn the fish over and again pour 1 teaspoon butter on top; cook until fish is done, about 2 minutes more.
- 14Repeat with remaining fillets.
- 15Serve each fillet while piping hot.
- 16To serve, place one fillet and a ramekin of butter on each heated serving plate.
Browse Our Top Cajun Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blackened Redfish
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 651.8
- Calories from Fat 504
- Total Fat 56.0 g
- Saturated Fat 31.4 g
- Cholesterol 248.7 mg
- Sodium 1125.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 35.6 g