Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have never blackened fish on the grill before, but was tired of my usual fish recipes so I gave it a try. Turned out great. The cajun seasoning has a measurement here (required), but I actually just dusted the steaks liberally with it on each side. Serve as a sandwich with a side of rice or by itself over rice.
- Heat gas grill to 400 degrees or so with burners on high.
- Place cast iron skillet on grill directly over heat. Close lid of grill.
- Continue to heat until a drop of water sizzles when dropped on skillet (I actually used a drop of beer, just happened to have one in hand when grilling it up, okay who am I kidding, I always have one in hand whenever I'm grilling).
- Use a paper towel to dry each side of the halibut steaks. Dust each side liberally with Cajun seasoning.
- Once the skillet is heated, drop the butter into skillet. Allow to melt, moving skillet to coat evenly. (caution- the skillet will be HOT to the touch, use an oven mit).
- Place halibut steaks in skillet. Close grill lid and let grill 2-2 1/2 minutes. Flip. Let grill another 2-2 1/2 minutes. Fish is done if it flakes easily with a fork.