Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you like heat you will love these. Make sure you have the windows and doors open when you make these or cook on gas grill.
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, stems picked off
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil or 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons finely ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Mix all seasonings in a bowl.
- Preheat cast iron pan or heavy wok over high heat until white hot, about 8-10 minutes.
- Plunge beans into stock pot of rapidly boiling water for about 30 seconds or until bright green.
- Place beans into large work bowl coat evenly with the oil.
- Sprinkle all of the seasoning over beans and coat evenly.
- Drop beans into hot pan (can work in batches, don't overload the pan) move beans around with tongs to char the spices evenly.
- Should take about 1-2 minutes.
My beans had a lovely smoky, nicely seasoned flavor. I'm not sure they turned out correctly as the spices clumped together rather than evenly coating the beans. Although they might not have been pretty, they tasted good.