Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the Enchanted Cook's blog with minor adaptations. She was smitten with the fish nuggest served at the Gumbo Shop in New Orleans so she came up with this wonderful creation. The Remoulade Sauce is a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse creation. Can be served as an appetizer or main dish.
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon creole mustard (Zatarain's is best)
- 1 teaspoon creole mustard (plus the 1 Tablespoon above)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 -8 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 (4 ounce) red snapper fillets, catfish (cut into bite-sized pieces) or 3 (4 ounce) other similar fish (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1⁄4 cup blackening seasoning, blend (recipes on food.com)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus 2 tablespoon salted butter (adding extra if needed)
- For the Remoulade Sauce: In small bowl mix all ingredients together. Chill until ready to serve.
- For the Fish Nuggets: Heat a cast iron skillet to high heat while preparing the fish. Do not add butter yet.
- Pat fillets with paper towel to dry and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Place blackened seasoning blend and flour in large plastic ziptop bag and mix well. Add pieces of fish, seal, and shake till fully coated; set aside.
- Add oil and butter to the hot pan and allow to melt and sizzle. Carefully add fish pieces and fry at high heat for about 1 minute per side in well-ventilated area. Remove and place on paper towel to absorb excess butter. Serve immediately with remoulade sauce and wedge of lemon.