Recipe by dimensionally transcendental
This has to be the easiest recipe in the known universe that manages to look and taste impressive. I got the idea when I went to a restaurant and thought 'I can do that'. It has been my favourite dinner party recipe for first-time guests for years now, simply because it can be knocked up in no time at all. When I do this for guests I serve it with balsamic goats cheese crostini and a green salad.
- 2 chicken breasts
- olive oil (for cooking chicken)
- 12 -16 cherry tomatoes
- 125 g mushrooms
- 2 -3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard (to taste)
- black pepper
- 300 g conchiglie (or penne)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the water for the pasta onto boil.
- Slice the chicken into strips about 6 cm long.
- Heat the oil so it is HOT.
- Add the chicken pieces - if the oil is hot enough there should be immediate sizzling and browning.
- When the the chicken is browned on all sides turn the heat to its lowest setting.
- Freshly grind black pepper all over the chicken.
- Put the pasta into cook.
- If the mushrooms are small halve or quarter them but for bigger mushrooms slice them.
- Add the mushrooms to the chicken.
- Mix the mustard and mayo together.
- About 2 minutes before the pasta is ready add the tomatoes to the chicken.
- About 1 minute before the pasta is ready add the mayo/mustard mix to the chicken and stir well.
- When the pasta is ready serve everything - you can add the pasta to the chicken mix or serve the chicken mix on top of the pasta.
- Variations: Replace half of the mayonnaise with creme fraiche, sour cream or plain yoghurt. Replace the mustard with Cajun or Italian seasoning (to taste). Replace the vegetables with sliced tomatoes, courgettes or pretty much any veg. If you want a very saucy pasta simply make more of it!