Recipe by Impera_Magna
All I can say is: YUM-O!!! "The magic of this recipe arises from the blending of flavors, the spiciness of the seasonings and the tartness of the yogurt sauce. I like to garnish the servings with large bunches of seedless red grapes or fresh orange wedges." ---Paulette Mitchel (my fav chef)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
To complete the recipe
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each)
- 2 (6 inch) pita bread, each sliced in half vertically (white or whole wheat)
- 8 leaves soft leaf lettuce (such as Bibb, Boston, green leaf, or red leaf)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together the seasoning mixture in a small bowl.
- Pour the yogurt into a separate small bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of the seasoning mixture and the sugar; stir until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or place in a plastic bag; flatten them to a ½-inch uniform thickness. Spread the seasoning mixture on both sides of each chicken breast.
- Heat a stovetop grill pan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-high and arrange the chicken on the grill; cook for about 4 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook for 4 more minutes, or until it is well browned (and somewhat blackened) and cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of the seasoned yogurt sauce on the top of each chicken breast. Slice the chicken breasts in half.
- For each sandwich, open 2 pita bread pockets; line each with lettuce leaves. Slip in the chicken breast halves. Drizzle each sandwich with about 1 more tablespoon of the yogurt mixture.
- Advance preparation:.
- The yogurt sauce may be made in several hours in advance; cover and refrigerate. The chicken breasts can be spread with the seasoning mixture, placed in a single layer on a plate, covered with plastic wrap, and refrigerated for several hours before cooking. If you prefer, the chicken can be cooked up to 1 day in advance and served chilled. Assemble the pita sandwiches just before serving.