Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
I didn't want the usual beef mix for my pot pies, so I used squash and blackened spices to make something a bit different. I add cranberries to EVERYTHING this time of year.
- 2 lbs steak
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 -4 tablespoons Cajun blackened spice mix (Cajun Blackening Spices)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 cup carrot
- 1⁄2 cup turnip
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- 2 yams
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Dice steak and put in crockpot. You can sear it first for texture if you like.
- Caramelize onion and garlic in butter. Add to crock pot.
- Cover with beef broth and let cook on high for 2 hours. Add spice mix and carrots, turnips (or any other roots you prefer) and cranberries and turn down to low for 2 more hours.
- Meanwhile dice and cook the yams. Once soft enough to mash, drain and mash. Let cool and then add the grated cheese, mixing well.
- Scoop out about a cup of the broth and add the pumpkin to it. Puree in blender or mix with hand mixer. Add it back in to the meat and mix well.
- Dish meat mix into pie pans and top with yams. Bake at 350 until yams start to brown, about 40 minutes.
- If you are freezing this, don't bake it. Just cover it and freeze it.