Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yes, it's an old-fashioned Blackbird pie! This is made with leftovers & tasted so good that I decided to post the recipe or is it an assembly job? Very easy, I am almost embarrassed to say that I made it with ready-made pastry. Well, it was after all a quick lunch with an assault on the fridge! This is what I found, mashed potato, cooked leeks & some cooked chicken breasts. There was an open packet of ham, and that completed the pie. The only vital item is a blackbird pie funnel, oh yes & some ready-made pastry & leftovers.
- 2 (225 g) packets shortcrust pastry
- 500 g mashed potatoes
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 4 -6 cooked leeks
- 50 g cooked ham, cut into dice
- 3 -4 tablespoons creme fraiche or 2 -3 tablespoons cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 egg, beaten with a little
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400°F.
- Grease and line a pie dish with baking paper.
- Mix together your mashed potato, leeks, chicken, ham, crème fraiche & seasonings to taste. Set to one side.
- Roll out your pastry and line the base of the pie dish - allow the edges to extend over the edge of the pie dish.
- Put you filling into the pastry pie case - and sit your blackbird or pie funnel in the middle, pushing it down slightly so it is not too high.
- Turn back the pastry edges and make a raised crust all the way around. Dampen the piecrust with some of the beaten egg & milk mixture.
- Roll out your pastry for the lid - ease it over the top gently breaking OR cutting a hole for the blackbird to poke through!
- Turn back the edges of the pastry lid and neatly crimp the top together with the bottom - using a fork to help you if necessary.
- Brush the beaten egg and milk glaze over the top and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes.
- Take out and allow to cool very slightly before serving with fresh vegetables & gravy. This is also wonderful cold as picnic food.
This was a really lovely, homey recipe. I love leeks but only used them in leek and potato soup so happy to have another leek recipe. Thanks!
lovely recipe, really recommend it
Leftovers don't get better than this! I'll be making this with leftover mashed potatoes and turkey at Christmas. I made a few minor changes. I used italian rosemary ham and only 3 leeks, so a bit more potatoes. I used tarragon and sage for the herbs. Thank you for another wonderful recipe, FT. I only wish I had a pie bird :)