Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes from the R.S.V.P. section of an October 1988 Bon Appetit magazine. It was requested from Rebecca's, a bakery in Aspen, Colorado.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 extra-large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 3 cups fresh blackberries
- whipped cream, for garnish
- For pastry:.
- Combine flour and sugar in processor.
- Add butter and cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal; add yolk and cream and blend until dough just begins to come together.
- Gather dough into ball;flatten to disc.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to thickness of 1/8 inch.
- Fit dough into 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom.
- Trim edges and refrigerate shell while preparing filling.
- For Filling:.
- Cook butter in small saucepan over medium heat until melted and golden brown.
- Blend eggs and sugar in large bowl.
- Add flour and vanilla and whisk until just combined.
- Whisk in butter.
- Set tart shell on heavy baking sheet; pour filling into tart shell.
- Bake until pastry and filling are golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Transfer tart to rack and cool completely.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic and store at room temperature.).
- Melt jelly in small saucepan over low heat.
- Brush 2 tablespoons jelly over filling.
- Set berries atop tart, covering filling completely.
- Brush remaining jelly jelly over berries; let stand until jelly sets.
- Serve with whipped cream.