Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I try to make this whenever I can get my hands on blackberries.
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 lb frozen blackberrie, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fruit liqueur (optional)
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan, remove from heat, and stir in the sugar until it is completely dissolved.
- Pour the sugar syrup into a heatproof container, cover and place in the refrigerator until completely chilled.
- Meanwhile, thaw the blackberries.
- When the blackberries are thawed, place in a saucepan, along with the cooled sugar syrup, heat to boiling and then simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Allow the blackberries and sugar syrup mixture to cool for a few minutes and then transfer to your blender or food processor and puree.
- Strain the mixture to remove the seeds.
- Add the lemon juice and liqueur (if using), cover and refrigerate until the mixture is thoroughly chilled.
- Once the mixture is thoroughly chilled place in your ice cream machine and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once made, transfer to a chilled container and store in the freezer.
- To serve: If solid, place sorbet in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes or till it is soft enough to serve.
The blackberries smelled wonderful while they were cooking! I made this last night, and took a quick bite this morning ... it's great! The only thing I would say is I personally think this calls for way too much sugar. I only put in one cup, but it still seems far too sweet. I will definitely make this again, but maybe only put as little as 1/4 cup of sugar, so that the natural sugars can shine through.