Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I don't like picking wild blackberries (too low to the ground and snaky) but I do love eating and cooking with them. This pie is exquiste with fresh blackberries but you can use frozen.
Top Review by PaNik
I asked my boyfriend and he said to give this pie a 4.75. We both liked it, but it didn't blow us away. I used frozen organic blackberries. The recipe says to add 1 cup puree. I think I had a little more than that and I wasn't quite sure if I was to only use one cup. In the end, I had a little extra filling. I hated to waste it so I made a quick graham cracker crust in a smaller dish and baked that too.
- 1 (9 inch) flaky pie pastry (partially baked)
- 1 pint fresh blackberries (or one 1-pound bag frozen blackberries, not packed in syrup, partially thawed)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup light cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ripe fresh blackberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the berries and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor; process for 30 seconds or long enough to make a smooth puree.
- Put a mesh sieve over a large bowl and pour the puree into the sieve.
- Using a rubber spatula, push or force the puree through the mesh, leaving the seeds; throw away the seeds.
- In a big mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy.
- Add in 3/4 cup sugar and the cornstarch and whisk until well blended.
- Blend in the heavy cream, light cream, vanilla, and 1 cup puree; mix until evenly blended.
- Ladle the filling into the cooled pie shell.
- Put the pie on the center oven rack and bake in a 300° oven for 50-60 minutes, rotating the pie 180° halfway through the baking (so that the part that faced the back of the oven now faces forward).
- When done, the filling will likely have puffed somewhat.
- The center may seem a little jiggly; that is fine.
- If after the alloted time, the pie seems overly puffy and the center a little underdon, turn the oven off and leave the pie in the hot oven for 10-15 minutes.
- **I always cover pie crust edges with foil to prevent over-browning. Remove the foil the last 10-15 minutes of baking time and pie crust edges will be lightly golden brown.