Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Raspberries, blueberries, or dewberries would work in this recipe as well. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a baking pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a large bowl; cut in butter and add enough ice water to make a stiff dough.
- Let stand for a few minutes to rest.
- Clean berries and cover with sugar.
- Roll dough thinly on a floured board into an oblong sheet.
- Spread berries over dough and roll as a jelly.
- Place in prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Mix the butter and sugar together; baste the roll and replace roll in oven.
- Continue basting every five minutes while the roll continues to bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve from the dish in which it was baked, sprinkled lightly with confectioners' sugar.