Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Southern Living 1993.
- 10 ounces frozen tart shells
- 2 quarts fresh blackberries (or 2-16 oz pkg frozen berries, thawed)
- 1 cup water
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup self rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 1⁄8 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup whipping cream
- fresh blackberries
- mint sprig (to garnish)
- Bake the tart shells according to the package directions and cool completely.
- Combine the berries and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the berries are soft.
- Mash the berries and strain 2 cups of juice.
- Discard the pulp and seeds.
- Combine the sugar and flour in a saucepan.
- Add the blackberry juice, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Bring to a boil, whisking.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 3 min or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add butter and 2 t vanilla.
- Spoon the filling into the cooled tart shells.
- Cool completely.
- Beat the whipping cream on medium heat until foamy.
- Gradually add in 1/4 c sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Stir in 1/8 t vanilla.
- Put a dollop or two of whipped cream on top of the tarts.
- Garnish as desired with fresh blackberries and mint sprigs.
I have been making these for years, but I use refrigerated pie crust and bake them at 400 degrees for 8 minutes after they have been pricked in 5 inch tart shells...very impressive dessert