Recipe by ktdid
It's blackberry season in Seattle and this is one of our favorites. It's quick, easy and a few blackberries go a long way.
Top Review by French Tarte
I have made this about a dozen times now & it's perfect every time. I have tried it with blackberries, pitted cherries, strawberries & blueberries...they all work beautifully. Fresh or frozen too. The last few times I have let it cook for about 5 mins longer as it creates this gorgeous chewy strudel like texture - yummo! Also great with vanilla ice-cream, cream, or custard. I would recommend this to everyone! Thank you for providing the recipe...it's become a regular weekly highlight in our home. :-)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 pint blackberry
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- Stir in milk, vanilla and melted butter.
- Spread batter in greased 9 inch deep dish glass pie plate (or 10 x 6 baking dish).
- Scatter blackberries over the batter and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Pour boiling water over berries, place dish in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- I have also substituted Italian prune plums, peaches and raspberries for the blackberries- all are good!