Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 mins
I love this pancake for breakfast, especially when blackberries are in season and you can go out and pick them fresh off the vine. I use a ¼ cup-measuring cup and find it makes the perfect sized pancake. The variations with this recipe are endless so use your imagination because cooking should be fun. You can substitute crème de mûre for blackberry liquor or Mixed berries fruit juice for non alcohol version. If using raspberries use raspberry liquor or crème de cassis
buttermilk pancake ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups buttermilk or 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
blackberry coulis aux framboises ingredients
- 1⁄2 lb blackberry
- 1⁄2 lb superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup blackberry liqueur
- Pancake Directions.
- Mix everything up until just moistened and stir in ½ cup Fresh Blackberries start making pancakes!
- Drop aprox. 1/4 cup of batter onto hot lightly gressed griddle cook aprox 2 minutes or until sides appere done and you see air bubbles on top then flip and cook on other side to a golden brown.
- You can also use raspberries, blueberries, your favorite fruit or whatever you want.
- Coulis aux Framboises Directions.
- This is a basic Coulis recipe that I like to use in place of maple syrup.
- Combine berries, sugar, and liqueur in a small non-reactive saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Let cook until syrupy and reduced by half, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender (aka boat motor, stick blender) to purée in the saucepan you will have to transfer mixture to a blender or food processor, and purée until smooth.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve, pushing on the mixture with a rubber spatula, and discard seeds.
- Drizzle on top of you buttered pancakes in place of syrup. If you have some left over, set aside to cool and refrigerate up to one week.
- This Coulis is also great over French Vanilla Ice Cream, Ice Box Cake, Chocolate Cake or many other dishes. Use your Imagination and Have Fun.
- Tips: * Granulated sugar can be used but I find it gives a grainer texture.You can make superfine sugar using your blender or food processor).
- * Most of the alcohol evaporates during the cooking process, but if you are concerned you can leave out the liquor and replace with a berry juice or just use maple syrup for the kids.
Did cut the pancake part of the recipe in half when I made it, but did make the full amount of the blackberry 'syrup' using frozen berries ~ Definitely on my list to make again when I can get nice, fresh blackberries! Also I did use the buttermilk in the pancakes (love that stuff!) & had A GREAT BREAKFAST! The extra 'syrup' was great over frozen vanilla yogurt! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]