Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe that my mother made when I was a kid. My sister has passed it on to me. I like best with plain cold milk or maybe vanilla ice cream.
- Combine berries and 1 cup water in saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine corn starch and 1/3 cup water until smooth.
- Stir corn starch/water mixture in to berries and stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Add sugar and mixture until smooth.
- Pour into 1 quart dish and cool.
- Serve with milk or vanilla ice cream.
mmmmm yummy! I made exactly as directed and it was a simple and tasty ice cream topper :) I just love berries with vanilla ice cream. I really enjoyed the blackberries but think I'll do as another reviewer did and make it with raspberries next time! Thanks for posting! Made for your week 4 Football Pool win!
Obviously I didn't use blackberries (I don't like their hard little seeds), but raspberries worked great for this! Besides that substitution, I made this as directed. It took no time and tasted great on vanilla ice cream. Made for Maryland Jim's win of the Football Pool, week 4. Thanks Jim! :)
We had just under one cup of berries, but I tried it anyway...it's so good! I served it warm over vanilla ice cream.