Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, lowfat
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce, eggs, and buttermilk.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet ingredients.
- Mix gently until just combined.
- Carefully fold in the blackberries.
- Pour the batter into nonstick muffin cups until they are two-thirds full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and muffins are lightly browned.
This was a great healthy muffin recipe. I was looking for a recipe low in sugar without using artificial sweeteners so this was a great find. I'm looking forward to trying it with blueberries or raspberries too. Thanks for posting!
For being a healthy recipe, low in calories and fat, and high in fiber, I thought that it was pretty good. Mine came out a little dry, so next time I'll add just a touch more applesauce.
Dh sat down, ate one of these and said, "These are really good. They taste healthy." He's right, they are and they do. I was tempted to slather them with butter and sprinkle on the sugar but they grew on me. The blackberries really were the stars of the show.