Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came up with recipe in order to use up some fresh blackberries. This is very good for brunch, breakfast, or a snack. I hope you enjoy it!
- To make the loaf: Mix together butter and sugar in a large bowl until creamy.
- Beat in egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternately, add milk and flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add vanilla, stir.
- Fold in blackberries gently, try not to mash them too much.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan.
- To make streusel: Combine streusel ingredients, mix until crumbly.
- Pour over batter in the loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.
- Check frequently after 45 minutes.
- Loaf should be golden brown and a knife inserted in the center of the loaf should come out dry.
I had lots of blackberries, so I made a double batch in two 8x8 pans. I just threw the second pan in the garbage. It sounded good and looked good, but it was not. I should have just made a regular coffee cake and mixed the berries in.
It only gets a 5 if you make it as a coffee cake in a 8" square pan. I tried it several times in a loaf pan and the center was always goopy. It comes out perfectly as a coffee cake. Everytime I take it some where there are never any leftovers, and I make sure I have plenty of copies of the recipe with me.
I was really happy the way this bread baked up. I actually doubled the recipe because I had a lot of berries to use up. The loaves baked up very high and the topping was very attractive. The only thing I would change is the amount of sugar. It wasn't very sweet at all and I was actually kind of shocked when I tried a slice. But, I'm the oddball of the bunch and everyone else thought it was good. Thanks for the recipe!