This is the recipe I have been using for year. It comes from the Sure-jell pectin package. Here is how I do mine.
- FOR JUICE: Lightly mash berries and cook in water on top of stove for about 20 mins over medium/med high heat.
- FOR JELLY: Strain berries through cheesecloth, wire mesh strainer or sieve. SAVE JUICE! Discard berries and seeds.
- Measure sugar exactly. (do not reduce or use sugar substitute) Set aside.
- Measure juice exactly. Place juice and pectin in a 6 to 8 quart sauce pot. Add butter now (if using) to reduce foaming.
- Bring mixture to FULL ROLLING BOIL (a boil that does not stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, STIRRING CONSTANTLY!
- Stir in all of sugar. Return to rolling boil and boil exactly one minute, Stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
- Quickly ladle into prepared jars, within 1/8 inch of top. Wipe jar rims and threads with damp cloth. Cover with two piece lids. Screw on tightly.
- Process in a hot water bath for 5 mins or use the inversion method.
- NOTE: All instructions are included with pectin.
- Save any left over juice for a second batch! Can add up to 1/2 cup of water to juice if needed to make exact measurement.
- Have fun and enjoy!