Recipe by grandma2969
this recipe only makes 12 cakes.. these are good plain, but outstanding with a burnt sugar icing, caramel or just plain buttercream..I have made them and decorated the top with a raspberry in the center
Top Review by Companygirl
Really good recipe! I added applesauce to the mix to up the moist-ness factor, and it really made them delicious. I also put a sugar, ground nutmeg, lemon zest mixture on the tops before baking and it turned out very well.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2⁄3 cup seedless raspberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter till light and fluffy.
- With mixer on high, gradually beat in sugar, till light and fluffy --
- Lower mixer speed to medium -- beat in egg, and the vanilla, lower the mixer spped to low.beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, just till blended.
- Blend in jam until almost but not quite blended.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake until tips of cakes are spingy.about 20 minutes.
- cool in tins on wire rack.