Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was my great aunt's personal recipe and it was, in turn, my grandmother's favorite cake. I hope you enjoy this simple and delicious cake as much as they did!
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the jam, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Blend the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixture alternately with the sour milk.
- Bake in greased tubular (or bundt) pan at 350°F for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Boil the sugar, milk and nutmeg together for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in enough of the powdered sugar to make a drizzle.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake and let it run down the sides and middle.
I baked this cake as directed. I did change the icing a tiny bit in that I added a capful of vanilla and I didn't have any powdered sugar so I added a little brown sugar and some cornstarch to thicken it. The cake doesn't have much of a blackberry taste (I used homemade jam) nor much of a chocolate taste. It tastes a little like gingerbread. It's very tender and spicy. If you love nutmeg, you'll love this cake. My husband and I agreed that the cake is good just not what you'd expect from the title.