Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spices of the World Cookbook by McCormick. Copyright 1964. They frost this with Lemon Frosting
Make and share this Blackberry Jam Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Cream butter; add sugar and continue to cream until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Sift together spices and dry ingredients. Add alternately with buttermilk and jam to creamed mixture.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until stiff; fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 375* for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
The only jam cake I had ever had was a spice type cake filled with jam so I was nervous about putting jam IN the cake, but I decided to go for it anyway, and I'm glad that I did. I love the blackberry flavor in the cake. I used a 10 oz jar of blackberry jam, and did not have quite a liquid cup, but the cake seems fine. Next time I'll buy a second jar to get a full cup and fill the cake with the rest. I frosted the cake with CoffeeB's Caramel Frosting #264630, which complements the cake quite nicely.
Here are the changes that I made:
I didn't have any allspice on hand, and I don't like a lot of clove so I used 1.5 tsp cinnamon, .5 tsp clove, 1 tsp ginger, and 3/4 tsp nutmeg. I also found 375 to be a bit high. I baked the cakes at 375 for 20 minutes, lowered the temperature to 350, and baked for another 7 minutes and they were done.