Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spices of the World Cookbook by McCormick. Copyright 1964. They frost this with Lemon Frosting
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup thick blackberry jam
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Cream butter; add sugar and continue to cream until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Sift together spices and dry ingredients. Add alternately with buttermilk and jam to creamed mixture.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until stiff; fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 375* for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
The only jam cake I had ever had was a spice type cake filled with jam so I was nervous about putting jam IN the cake, but I decided to go for it anyway, and I'm glad that I did. I love the blackberry flavor in the cake. I used a 10 oz jar of blackberry jam, and did not have quite a liquid cup, but the cake seems fine. Next time I'll buy a second jar to get a full cup and fill the cake with the rest. I frosted the cake with CoffeeB's Caramel Frosting #264630, which complements the cake quite nicely.
Here are the changes that I made:
I didn't have any allspice on hand, and I don't like a lot of clove so I used 1.5 tsp cinnamon, .5 tsp clove, 1 tsp ginger, and 3/4 tsp nutmeg. I also found 375 to be a bit high. I baked the cakes at 375 for 20 minutes, lowered the temperature to 350, and baked for another 7 minutes and they were done.