Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Recipe from the newspaper years ago. This is a thick, solid cake so it needs to cook the entire recommended time unless your oven cooks hotter.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup blackberry jam
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg yolks to shortening mixture and beat well.
- Add flour mixture alternately with sour milk.
- Add vanilla and blackberry jam.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Bake in greased tube pan at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 45 minutes.