Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a simple icing recipe that I found in Parents magazine. It's a BIG hit at the office. I imagine you could make this with different berries as well but haven't tried it yet. Use your own cake recipe or box mix.
- 1 (18 ounce) package vanilla cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 24 blackberries (to garnish)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, making 24 cupcakes. Allow to cool.
- Puree 1 cup of blackberries in food processor or blender. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve to remove seeds. Work through with a spatula if needed.
- In large bowl, beat butter on medium-high speed about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add blackberry puree, 3 cups of powdered sugar, and salt. Beat on low until sugar incorporates into the butter, then increase speed to medium-high to mix.
- Add remaining powdered sugar, a little at a time, until the icing reaches your preferred consistency.
- Pipe onto cupcakes using a large star tip.
- Top each with a blackberry.
- Chill for at least 1 hour. (Good served cold!).