Started with Dee514's Cinnamon Ice Cream (#67382) and grew from there. Has gorgeous deep lavender color and rich blackberry flavor. A hint of rich cinnamon (I use Penzey's Vietnamese Cinnamon) adds an exotic depth to it. Uses electric ice cream maker. Prep time doesn't include chilling base. Cook time is freezing time.
- Mix blackberries and 1/2 cup sugar in small saucepan. Bring to low boil, simmer 5 minutes to dissolve sugar and break up berries. Cool slightly. Puree in blender. Press puree through fine sieve to remove seeds. Discard seeds. Set puree aside.
- Mix egg yolk, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup half and half in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly (about 5 min).
- Whisk remaining half and half, all of cream and cinnamon and vanilla into cooked mixture. Whisk in blackberry puree.
- Cool and chill the ice cream base mixture for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Pour cold mixture into electric ice cream machine and process according to manufacturer's directions (takes about 25 minutes in my Cuisinart electric ice cream maker).