Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Saw this on one of Rachel Ray's programs and just had to make it for our Sunrise Service at church today. I used raspberries because that is what I had on hand. Everyone loved it!!! The bread has to be hardened overnight, so you will need to start this the night before.
- 1⁄2 lb loaf crusty French bread, sliced
- 10 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen blackberries or 3⁄4 pint fresh berries
- The night before.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Slice the bread and spread on a large cookie sheet.
- Place in oven, turn oven off, and let bread set in oven overnight (since I have a gas oven, I just set the bread in the oven overnight, the pilot light hardened it enough).
- The next morning.
- Whisk the eggs and 1/4 cup sugar until all the yolks are broken.
- Add the milk and cream and whisk a little more.
- Put the dried bread pieces on top of the egg mixture.
- Wait a few minutes, then push the rest of the bread into the mixture and mix lightly.
- Grease a bundt pan and place half of the bread mixture in the pan to cover the botton.
- Spoon the berries over the bread and sprinkle berries with the 1 Tablespoon sugar.
- Spoon the remainder of the bread over the berries and pour the remaining liquid over the top.
- Brush the top with the melted butter.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour or until toothpick insterted comes out clean.
- Cut and serve, while hot.
- Serve with powdered sugar or syrup drizzled over the top.
We love this. The first time we had it was at Signe's on Hilton Head Island, which is where RR did one of the $40 a day shows. She did breakfast at Signe's and had this with sausage and fruit. That is how we serve it also. It is so good, and leftovers can be cut into serving portions and frozen to be heated quickly when needed. Thanks for posting the recipe. We made it for brunch after my grand daughters wedding. It was received very well. Pooured real Vermont maple syrup on it. Delicious!!!