Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've had this recipe for years, but I haven't tried it yet. However, my daughter and I picked a bucket full of blackberries on Sunday, so we will be trying it out soon! Sounds Good!
- 3 quarts fresh blackberries or 3 quarts frozen blackberries
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 2 (4 inch) cinnamon sticks, broken
- carbonated lemon-lime beverage (such as Sprite)
- Crush blackberries in a large kettle.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Strain through jelly bag, reserving juice and discarding pulp.
- Add water to juice if necessary to equal 2 quarts.
- Pour into large kettle.
- Slowly stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Place spices in a cheesecloth bag; add to juice.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; remove the spice bag and discard.
- Pour hot into hot jars, leaving ¼-inch headspace.
- Adjust caps.
- Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- To serve, mix about one-third concentrate to two-thirds soda.
I loved this. I followed instructions as listed and didn't find the spices overpowering. I used 2 qt blackberries and 1 qt raspberries because I didn't have as many blackberries as I thought. I mixes up great and is a beautiful color. Thank you for posting!
Dh and I have made this and it is a nice drink mix. We thought the clove was a bit overpowering so next time will use less. We used sprite and also diet. You can also use club soda.