Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Served at Teddi's Tea Room in Spring TX..
Make and share this Blackberry Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 pints fresh blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- Sift the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and mix well.
- Add the egg, stirring until blended. Add just enough milk to make a stiff batter and mix well.
- Combine the blackberries, 1 cup sugar, water, and butter in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Drop the batter 1 spoonful at a time (each spoonful should be 1/6 of the batter) into the boiling blackberry mixture. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Ohhhh..... so delicious! Kind of tweaked it a bit after reading the reviews. I was just making this for me and Dh so I was going to make a third of the recipe but then read that people wished there had been more sauce and it ended up getting kind f complicated, so I halved the biscuit mixture and made a full batch of sauce using half blackberries and half strawberries. As I started cooking the dumplings,I realized that I was making way too much for the two of use and ended up only cooking half of the half, so really just a 1/4 of the dumpling mix. Anyway they turned out so delicious! I used buttermilk and would again and next time I think I would reduce the sugar by about 1/4. Served this with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream and it was a great way to taste summer on a cold winter night. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
I love how easy this was, and how tasty. I rather hated cooking blackberries, I love eating them fresh, but this recipe was definitely worth it. The recipe was not too sweet, and I look forward to making it again.
Oh the memories this brings back! A dessert almost identical to this has a long history in our family and is still enjoyed to this day. I made this as written which was to everyone's delight. Thanks for the post.