Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I don't remember where I found this particular recipe,but it is similiar to what a dear old friend used to make for me. Melt in your mouth delicius!
- 4 -5 cups blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a Dutch oven, combine the blackberries, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and lemon extract. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, 1 tablespoons sugar, and remaining salt. Add the milk. Stir just until mixed. Dough will be very thick.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into six mounds onto the hot blackberry mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Serves 6.
- Top with whipped cream if desired.
My family really enjoyed this recipe. I used frozen blackberries and lemon juice with some lemon zest (didn't have any extract). I baked it at 400* but checked it at 30 minutes and it was done perfectly! Thanks for sharing a true keeper.
The blackberry sauce was wonderful - just enough sweet. I think I overmixed the dumplings a bit, and they browned a bit too much for our tastes. Next time I'll cook it at 350 so they don't brown as much.