Recipe by MizzNezz
This is from my dear Kentucky grandma. We kids used to beg her to make these and we would go pick the berries. You can use your favorite berry.
Top Review by P.J.
This was fantastic, my dear hubby loves blackberries. I think I found one that he wants me to keep. I only used 3/4 cup sugar and next time will only use 1/2. It was plenty sweet, but very good.
- 1 quart blackberry, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix berries,water, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 t salt and lemon in large, wide saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- For dumplings: Combine flour,1 T sugar, baking powder, 1/4 t salt, nutmeg and milk.
- Stir until mixed.
- Drop by TBS into berry mixture.
- Cover tightly and simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of whipped cream.