Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from my dear Kentucky grandma. We kids used to beg her to make these and we would go pick the berries. You can use your favorite berry.
- Mix berries,water, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 t salt and lemon in large, wide saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- For dumplings: Combine flour,1 T sugar, baking powder, 1/4 t salt, nutmeg and milk.
- Stir until mixed.
- Drop by TBS into berry mixture.
- Cover tightly and simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of whipped cream.
This was fantastic, my dear hubby loves blackberries. I think I found one that he wants me to keep. I only used 3/4 cup sugar and next time will only use 1/2. It was plenty sweet, but very good.
I omitted the lemon extract and salt and it was very good. I simmered it for 20 minutes and the texture of the dumpling was nicer. I will definitely make it again, but would like to use either raspberries or strawberry-rhubarb.
Wow was this sweet, the kids loved it. Next time I'll use half the amount of sugar for the fruit mixture. Sure wish I had some whip cream to go on top like Inez said!